Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Real Life and Fantasy Life

So, very soon I leave for Russia again for a few months, and then I'll be traveling through Europe - I don't know where, nor for how long (I'm planning--to use the term loosely--to travel westward from Russia by train along the southern part of Europe: Kiev, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, etc, then Rome and Spain). I'm looking forward to it, but of course I've yet to pack. So that's the fantasy life; I'll be gone probably though at least October. Thanks for all your well-wishes!

And then there's the question of what to do when I come back. I am currently working at a software company in Northport, Applied Visions, as an intern. I also took the Suffolk County Police Exam about two weeks ago. But I also have thoughts of pursuing research in psychology, which is an interest I picked up at the study abroad program last year; I took another class afterwards and have been talking a lot with the professor. I also was contemplating teaching Math (I double-majored in Applied Math to hedge my bets in that direction as well).

A few weeks ago I flew out to Seattle to interview with Microsoft (continuing the process from last year). As though I didn't have enough things to worry about (though I use "worry" loosely as well), they (finally) just got back to me with a terrific offer, except it means I would need to move out to Washington (the far one). Do I want to leave everyone I know and pursue a great career opportunity? Such is the real life. I know that it's such a depressing story to have a great job offer, but it's "no bed of roses; no pleasure cruise". I really don't know what to do. On the other hand, if anyone wants to go in with me on large lottery ticket investments, it would sure be nice to just fall into wealth and not have to make a decision.

Word of the day: До Свидания (do svidaniya - goodbye)

No comments: